Rights of Seeing Eye Dog users

You have the right for your Seeing Eye Dog to be with you in public spaces and on public transport. This right is protected under law and means that you can enjoy a meal in a restaurant, shop in all retail outlets and catch a taxi or other public transport with your dog by your side.

If you have been refused services because you're in the company of your Seeing Eye Dog, you are being discriminated against because of your disability. Unfortunately despite this being illegal, and despite ongoing advocacy from individuals and organisations such as Vision Australia on this issue, it does still happen. Several states have extended these protections to the people who accompany puppies in training.

If this happens to you, you could insist in the first place that you speak with the manager or owner of the business to explain his or her legal obligations. You could also call the police.

In many states across Australia there are penalties or fines that may be applied to people or businesses refusing access to those in the company of their Seeing Eye Dog.

If you do not get the outcome you want, that is, to access whatever service you are being denied, please contact Vision Australia's Advocacy Department at [email protected] or telephone 1300 84 74 66 for further information and advice. We can discuss with you what other steps you might take, including making a formal disability discrimination complaint against the business through the Australian Human Rights Commission.

There are numerous pieces of legislation and regulations relating to assistance dogs and the rights of their owners. We have provided a general list for your interest - please note there are many other Acts and Regulations that also have sections concerning assistance dogs.

Assistance Dogs - Acts and Regulations

Links to commonly cited legislation and regulations relating to assistance dogs is provided for general interest and in good faith. Many other Acts and regulations also have sections concerning assistance dogs.

Please note that as the Legislation/Regulation documents are from third party websites, some will download in PDF.








South Australia

Western Australia

Northern Territory